Week 8 Knee Update: Lauren's Return to the Office

I was apprehensive about returning to the office after week 6. I have a long walk from my parking spot to the office, and I worried about keeping my leg comfortable. BUT my house doesn't have AC and I knew that I would not survive the summer temperatures that were on the way. Despite my apprehensions, I returned to the office last Wednesday (06/28). I had to ice my knee for a few hours after the walk from the parking garage, but it was mostly fine. I have a cute little set up to elevate my leg for a few hours each day, it's a blanket sitting on top of my trash can. What can I say? I'm fancy AF. 

Upon my return I was greeted by my man, Creepy Carl, in this provocative state.

 Registrar's Office Mascot: Creepy Carl

My return to the office was very eventful. My coworkers kept stopping by my desk to chat, so I probably only worked for 6 hours instead of 8. I loved catching up on the chisme and discussing the exciting lives of my coworkers. After being trapped in the house for 7 weeks, I have to live vicariously through their fun weekend plans. Everything is back to normal and I am enjoying the well air conditioned office during the hot afternoons. 

Saturday, I went to Wellsville for the first time. I brought flowers and a Costco dinner platter to my friend who just had surgery. We ate a bit for lunch, chatted for a few hours, visited the small ponies in her neighbor's yard, and picked the most delicious strawberries I've ever had. They were so sweet and literally melted in my mouth. I drove through Wellsville and it was so cute. I saw a ton of hiking trails at the bottom of the Wellsville mountains, and envied all who are physically able to hike this summer. (I hate y'all.)

The manna strawberries from heaven

I spent the rest of the weekend napping in the basement, watching cooking shows (HELLLOOOO HOTTIE SCOTTIE from Chopped), and reading outside. It was very relaxing and I enjoyed my solitude. 
The sunsets this past week have been amazing! I really enjoy sitting in the grass, reading, and watching the sun set every evening. 


I finally got my surgery bill processed! It was a $45,000 procedure!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully my max out of pocket is $5,000. I put the bill on my credit card because I just wanted to get it taken care of. I've been dreading the bill since May, so it was about time. Also, if I am going to have major surgery, I might as well get points for it! (Thank YOU credit card reward programs.) Oh and also thank you insurance. I couldn't imagine having to pay $45,000+ for the surgery and all my physical therapy appointments.


Alright, enough fluff, I know what y'all want to read. It's now time for the week 8 physical therapy update, and boy is it a doozy. 

I started off on the sitting bike and since I have been fairly consistent with it since last week (only missed 2 days!) it was easy peasy. I turned the resistance up on the bike and played Word Hunt with Nat and my mom. As I was playing I didn't notice my PT come up behind me and scoot my chair forward. I yelped in pain because I had to push my knee to bend more than I am used to. 

Then it was time for the dreaded supine heel slide. My PT said I had to get to 125 degrees, but conceded to 120 when I begged for mercy. I got to 115 with a little stretching, but really struggled to reach 120. When I started crying my glasses fogged up. Then he told me to flip on my stomach, that's when I did something new. I had to pull my knee toward my butt with a strap over my shoulder. He pressed my knee down a little bit, but it was not nearly as painful as when he pushes it on the heel slide. I had to flip back over to my back, and that's when started pushing my knee to reach 120. My glasses were pushed up on my head, I was sweating, I was crying, I was in pain, and I was in begging mode. I started begging my PT to stop pushing and just let me stay at 115. The PT assistant said, "You know Lauren, you could just kick him". I kind of laughed, but then my PT pushed so hard, I shot up and my right leg kicked out. It took a second to register that I had just kicked the PT assistant who was helping a patient on the table next to me. 

I was so embarrassed and apologized profusely. The rest of PT was pretty uneventful. I did my step-up exercises, baby squats that focused on driving my heel into the ground, leg pulses, and pushing the rolling chair with my left leg. I had to do big girl squats on the scary platform machine! I did a few full squats with both legs, and then he said I needed to do them on one leg. I couldn't figure out how to lift my right leg to do it, so he lifted my leg from the ankle so I could do 10 reps. They were exhausting but not painful. I was a bit spacy from all the exertion and kind of stare off into space as I was taking a break. I didn't realize that I was staring at his slightly exposed stomach for those few seconds. (I really really hope he didn't think I was staring at him. I was just spacing out.) When I got up from the machine I literally tipped over (yes, like a tea pot) into the platform. I got up quickly and shrugged him off when he told me to hydrate because I drank hella water all day in preparation for PT. I think perhaps I reverted to holding my breath while I did the squats so maybe I didn't have enough oxygen coming into my body for a few minutes. Whoops. 

I had to walk on the treadmill for 7 minutes. I walked forward, backwards and side-ways to move my leg laterally. It was so hard. I almost fell off a few times!!

My knee got iced and I hydrated at the end of the session. My next appointment is scheduled 10 days out, so he told me to keep up the good work and to stay consistent. (My inner perfectionist loves the praise even though I pretend not to care.) I asked him about hiking and he said I am at least 4 months out before I can do it safely. I was pretty devastated, but I will not be taking his advice to just snowshoe this winter. I like hiking because I can see the pretty flowers and cool rocks. I don't want to see white snow, I can see that in the yard at home. Haha. I told him, "Although I am thoroughly enjoying these weekly meetings, but how long am I going to have to do PT?" He told me I am looking at 9 more months. 😑

One thing that I am super grateful for is that my PT has adapted his teaching style with me. The first few weeks he would explain the exercises verbally and I struggled to put them into practice. Now he explains verbally while demonstrating the exercise, and showing me what NOT to do (common errors). It has made everything much more accessible for me, and I am appreciative for the accommodations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today I Am Officially OLD!!!!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants

The Office Extravert