It’s a Broadway Miracle!

I have a love/hate relationship with NYC. Despite the many traumatic experiences I had while living there, there are still so many things I love. I miss the food, the walkability, the history, some of the people, and the energy of being in the city.

Years ago when Hadestown first debuted, my friend Amelia saw it and loved it. Since then it’s been on my Broadway bucket list. My goal for my last NYC trip was to go see the musical on Broadway, however, we got so busy doing other things I wasn’t sure it was going to happen. 

A day and a half before my flight home a miracle happened. Amelia and I were hanging out when she got a text message. The text message was in a church group chat and said “giving away a Hadestown ticket for free. Show starts in 45 minutes.” Amelia and I looked at each other and she immediately responded to the message. 

Less than 5 minutes after that I was running (in heels) to the nearest subway station. I prayed the whole time that there would be no delays. We got to 42 street and I took off running again. I was determined to get to the doors before they closed. 

Out of breath and looking somewhat bedraggled I finally made it! As they scanned my ticket it had an error code. My heart immediately sank. I looked at the screen in disbelief. I had just run more than a mile (total) to get here and now the ticket wasn’t working??? I was about to accept defeat when the office agent said, “Let’s go check with the group that bought the tickets”. 

Two people walked up and we got things figured out. They had scanned the wrong ticket before so mine said it was already used. I walked to the seats with them, and started pinching myself because I was really here!!!

I chatted with the two people who gave me the ticket. They were a brothers and sister duo from Utah. We made the connection that the brother and I had been at BYU at the same time, and his little sister was a current student at USU (where I work). It was such a small world moment!

The musical was everything I wanted it to be and more! My mythology-loving childhood self would have been even more in love with it! 

I knew the ending of the story but that didn’t stop me from sobbing at the end. The music was so fun, the scenery was really cool, and I loved the costumes! Persephone has always been one of my favorite Greek mythology figures so I loved her in this story. Overall, it was such an amazing experience.

I felt like the luckiest person in the world that night! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hope You Enjoyed The Entertainment Ladies And Gentlemen I Mean: Intimidating Home Teacher Boy!!!!

Uh....Hi Missionaries......Would You Like To Come Back At A More Appropriate Time?

Behold my new uniform!