Dating Misadventures: Movies and a Perfect Accent

After an abysmal month of dating in January, I recommitted to my goal to go on 2 dates a month for February. On February 10th I matched with an Australian guy. We chatted throughout the day until my accidental 2-hour nap. I woke up at 6:45pm and saw a message from him asking if I wanted to go to a film festival with him. I immediately responded with my number so I could get the ticket and rushed to get ready. I was completely showered and ready to go in 5 minutes and made it to the theater a few minutes after the event started. 

He was so sweet and offered his jacket to me because in my mad dash to get out of the house I had forgotten to grab one. I didn't need it because the theater was pretty well heated. We sat close to each other as each of the 2023 Banff Film Festival short films played. At intermission we chatted about art, goals, life, and our aspirations. He told me about Australian slang (water fountains = bubblers) and his life as a digital nomad. He was the perfect gentleman. I enjoyed chatting with him and really liked the intense eye contact he made as we conversed. 

We found out through the conversation that we lived in NYC at the same time! We were even living in the same neighborhood in East Harlem! 

Once intermission ended we sat back in our seats a little closer than before. I wanted him to hold my hand but he didn't make a move so I didn't either. We got hyped about the raffle contest but sadly he didn't win. 

At the end of the films we walked out of the theater together. We chatted about our favorite films and why we liked them. Once we reached the crosswalk he asked, "So is there anything to do in Logan". I replied, "Nope. There's really nothing open after 10pm! Anyway, thanks for the invite have a good night". He gave me a hug and we parted ways. The realization that he wanted to continue hanging out didn't hit me until I got to my car. When I realized that he was asking so we could spend more time together I was DEVASTATED. 

I called my friends Kambree and Amelia to lament the fact that I had fumbled the perfect opportunity to spend more time with him. 

He texted me, "Loved your company tonight! Thanks for coming, and bringing extra stoke:) would love to have spent more time getting to know you - maybe in December! Let's stay in touch."

We kept in touch for a few days after that on Instagram. I spent hours curating a playlist for him per his request. I agonized over the name of the playlist and finally landed on "Across the Genre-verse". After all that effort he ghosted me. He didn't even comment on the name or talk about which songs he liked. I am still a little mad about it. Haha. 

After talking about him with my coworker she said, "Oh my gosh Lauren, you went out with a homeless guy." I responded with, "First of all, he is purposely unhoused and he does have a job so at least I have some standards."  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's mah birfday

A book to feed your hunger!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants