Week 7 Knee Update: Flexion on Fleek

Week 7 physical therapy appointment is DONE. I came in an hour early today because they had a bunch of cancellations. My appointment was supposed to start at 5:15, but I took a short lunch and came in around 4:15. My PT said that my walking was looking good when I walked into the office. I gave him a grumpy look and told him that I am still not super confident with walking. I've been having stabbing pains around one of my incisions when I walk. He provided a little comfort in saying that it's actually good if the pain isn't happening every time I walk. Then as I started talking about my re-injury anxiety, he told me to go to the stationary bike. He mixed it up and I was told to not use my hands and he turned up the resistance. I started peddling my little heart out.

I walked on the treadmill for a while and tried walking backwards for the first time. We bickered because the treadmill was making a noise like a marble or something was stuck in it. He was like "what is that noise??" I turned around and said, "How should I know???! This isn't my treadmill." I chatted with the PT assistant about local plays because she's recently been bitten by the Broadway bug. As I walked backwards, I told my PT about the crazy lady at the library and then I said, "See that's why I don't want to go back into public. People are crazy and I don't want to deal with them." But I guess that's too bad so sad, because apparently, I am going to have to go to the gym to do cycling every day, FML. I am not ready to be reintroduced into society. I told him "Noooooo. That means I have to see people again. I don't think I'm ready for that."

Anyway, then it was flexion time. I pulled my leg back as far as I could and I was at 95 degrees flexion. I told him I would shoot for 105 but 110 might not happen. He then scolded me for not pushing myself, so I rolled my eyes and then said, "Fine, you can push my knee." I was again in tears. He measured again and I was only at 100 degrees. I was sweating and crying so my glasses started fogging up. Listen, if there is one thing about me, I will eventually do it but I WILL complain the whole freaking time. 

To loosen up my knee I got put on the a new bike. I literally could not get my knee to bend moving forward, so he recommended that I push backward. I was in tears again. My knee crunched every time I made a full circle but it finally loosened enough to move with more fluidity. I have learned that I must have a low pain threshold, physical therapy is kicking my butt. My knee was literally shaking as I pushed it to go in a full circle. Then I had to do another flexion test right after. I told him, "Okay. Let's do this. This sucks, but you're going to have to push on my knee". He pushed on my knee, I cried and gritted my teeth and then I (barely) hit 110, all while saying the longest "fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck" known to man. I apologized for my profanity as I put my shoes on and refused to let him tie my shoe (I am an independent woman). Then we walked over to the other side of the office. 

I did the mini squats with a band, lateral and straight step-ups, lateral leg lifts, lateral and straight balance exercises, weighted chair to standing, and the chair push with my left leg. There were a LOT of other ACL patients there today. One kid had his surgery 13 weeks ago, and he was doing so much! The other guy is a soccer player and he's getting ready to start playing sports again. 

My PT kept bugging and that caused the PT assistant to say, "I would like to apologize for your PT's behavior." I laughed and said that there is nothing for her to apologize for. I told her that I actually enjoy the verbal sparring, it keeps things interesting. PT can become repetitive so having someone bug me keeps it engaging. 

I did get some ice therapy today which was amazing!! My knee loved it! As I walked out my PT said, "You did a great job today, Cordova." Little win! Next week I will have my flexion on FLEEK. Let me tell you a little secret, as much as a whine and complain about physical therapy I actually look forward to my appointments every week. I can see so much progress from week to week and love pushing myself to be better. Annnnnd as much as he bugs me, I also like my physical therapist a lot. He keeps my sessions interesting and fast paced. I might actually miss it when I'm done. (shhhhhh)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today I Am Officially OLD!!!!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants

The Office Extravert