I'm Just a Sweaty Girl, Living in a Sweaty World

I can officially bend my leg to 70 degrees, my quad is finally firing at a satisfactory rate, and I took my first steps (on the crutches) without my brace on! I was terrified to take the first steps. I was very apprehensive and kept saying, "I can't. I'm scared. I need my emotional support leg brace." My physical therapist said, "It's just like walking with the brace. The brace doesn't do nearly as much as you think it does. Just put 50% weight on your left leg. " After a minute or two of freaking out, I was finally able to take my first few steps. I walked over to the treadmill, figured out how to get up, and then I practiced walking my left leg on the treadmill. We focused on making sure I put the weight on my heel first. It felt great to start re-learning how to walk post surgery!

Toward the end of the session my PT wanted me to try the hip abduction exercises with a band over both of my knees. I had the brilliant idea of sitting on the table and then sliding down to the floor to complete the sets. I greatly underestimated my sweatiness after completing the treadmill workout. As I slide off the table to start the exercises I looked down and to my horror, I saw a sweaty butt print left on the table. I was MORTIFIED, however, I had to pretend that I didn't see it, put my hands on the table and avoided eye contact with my PT at all costs. Being a sweaty girl is a hard burden to bear. 

I also learned that I've been using the ACE wrap wrong for the last 4 weeks. Apparently I have to start the wrap at the bottom and then work my way to the top! I was a bit of a brat because I was like "I didn't know, but the world hasn't ended yet, so maybe it's okay."  Apparently wrapping from the top down is not conducive to reducing swelling! (The more your know, huh?) Then my PT didn't like how I finished the wrap so he re-did it. I was like ?????? it's the exact same, but whatever. Apparently, I have to have a brat moment in every session so I can agonize over it until the next one.

I should be able to walk without crutches starting next week. Unfortunately, I will be in the brace for 4 more weeks (8 total). I almost cried when he broke the news. I guess he is good at doing the whole good news followed by bad news thing. 

Sweaty gurllll

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today I Am Officially OLD!!!!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants

The Office Extravert