Dating Misadventures: Pizza Shop and Language Barriers

I have a goal in 2024 to go on two dates a month. January was a bit of a slow month so I only went on one. I matched with a really nice guy from Sri Lanka. He was super sweet and I enjoyed messaging him. I asked him if he wanted to go to a free fitness class with me because the local rec center had a bunch of free classes. He was confused and ended up accidentally standing me up. I started to notice that there was a bit of a language barrier in our texting so I became a little apprehensive about our rescheduled date. 

We decided to go to a local pizza shop for the rescheduled date. He ordered 3 slices and we shared them, we chatted for about an hour while we ate. The music was loud and the environment was very distracting. It was also really hard to have a conversation because I was trying to focus on speaking slow. If you know me in real life you will know that I have a very fast speech pattern. All the external distractors combined with trying to focus on keeping things slow and simple made for very awkward conversation.

He was very sweet and nice but I don't think he understood a lot of what I was saying. He was nervous and laughed at everything I said, even when what I said wasn't even remotely funny. Listen, I know I am funny but I am not THAT funny. He talked a lot about bringing his mom to live with us once we were married and he finished school. He also talked a lot about having kids and wanting a lot of them. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I am on the "no kids" train and that I am not considering marriage at this point in my life. We did not have a lot in common except for our love for food. 

I ended up driving him home because there was a snowstorm and I didn't want him walking home in the cold. We talked about karaoke and then he made fun of the Taylor Swift songs that came on (honestly, that may have been the last straw). 

We chatted a bit after the date but things fizzled out. I think our language and cultural differences caused too much of a barrier. 😔



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's mah birfday

A book to feed your hunger!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants