Three Lessons I Have Learned From Working Fast Food

As many of you know, I have been working at McDonald's for almost two years now. Through these couple of years I have had several interesting experiences. I have also become a different (and hopefully better) person in that time. Today, I am going to write about three lessons that I have learned so far in my life as an employed almost adult.

Lesson: 1) I seriously cannot stand people. I am just a mere McDonald's employee. I do not make the prices, I cannot give you free food, and I most definitely will not use my hard earned money to pay for your order because you don't want to put $2.00 on your debit card. Oh, and yelling and cussing me out for not giving you "fresh" enough food is not going to solve anything. Nor is it going to make either one of our lives any better.
image
Lesson: 2) Never ever flirt with a fast food employee. It will be super awkward, especially if you come in for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.... You are obviously hard up for a date, maybe you should join a singles website or something. I am not cute, plus I have put on quite a few pounds since I started working fast food, and my uniform accentuates quite a few of the not so attractive parts of my body... Oh and another thing, I am not being flirty back to you, I am just friendly because it is my job. I also do not want to go clubbing with you on Saturday nights. I am underage so please keep your invitations to yourself or someone who is in your age group. Of course I never respond in the sarcastic manner that I would like to, I always laugh and quickly close the window and pretend that I am taking another order on the headset...

Lesson: 3) Sometimes I love people. Some days I have to fake my happiness. Especially on days when people get in my face and yell at me, or throw things at me, or cuss me out and call me mean names. I always try to keep a good attitude, or at least a friendly voice, and a smile. I cannot count the amount of times that people have told me that my attitude has made their day brighter. Whenever people take even an extra second of their day to compliment, or say something nice, it becomes a good day for me. Even if it is just one person in a day of a hundred rude customers. It totally erases any sad feelings I have in my heart. Sometimes I want to reach out the window to hug these people, they probably have no idea how much their encouraging words mean to me. I also have a love and appreciation for my coworkers and managers, they are all such amazing people, and they are so nice to me.










(On a side note: I was promoted to be a Shift Manager today. I felt like I had to write out my unresolved feelings toward my current position before taking on a whole new set of responsibilities.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's mah birfday

A book to feed your hunger!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants