Teacher Venting: Difficult Parent/Guardian

The schools year is quickly approaching (although, not fast enough for me). It has been a challenging two years of teaching, going to school, experiencing a faith transition, and living through a global pandemic. 

I've had a terrible experience this year with a guardian who hates me. She belittles me every chance she gets. She uses me as a scapegoat to blame for every issue her students has in school. She is condescending and patronizing. I always leave conversations with her feeling anxious and overwhelmed with emotion. The last two weeks have been especially bad, because her student has been getting into trouble. I have been feeling helpless and emotionally exhausted. I always feel attacked when I talk to her, and it's ridiculous. 

I brought this lady up in therapy on Tuesday, and I've decided to write what I want to tell her. Here we go: I really care about your student. We had built a great relationship between September and November, before schools shut down again. I helped him one-on-one, I spend time listening to him, and I don't let him get away with not completing work. I don't know what your problem is with me, but you need to stop it. Get over yourself. I am doing the best I can to help your student, and you attacking me every chance you get is ridiculous. I am good at my job. I have spent more than 6 years studying and taking intensive courses to qualify to be in the classroom. I am educated, smart, and dedicated to my job. I have never excluded your student, I have never belittled your student, I have never treated him differently. I approach all of my students with love and respect. I give respect and I expect it in return. I will no longer tolerate you using me as an emotional punching bag. You can reach me through email with SPECIFIC questions, and I will respond within a reasonable amount of time. I will no longer let you treat me so terribly. I setting up my own boundary and I will not allow you to step all over me again. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's mah birfday

A book to feed your hunger!

And her name was Ms. Bossy Pants