We're Soaring, Flying...Down the Stairs

Back in December 2022 I was getting into the habit of going to the gym. My nightly routine consisted of eating dinner, complaining about going to the gym, talking to the cat, and then actually go to the gym. On December 12th I was on my way to the gym, and stopped to talk to the cat for a few minutes. As soon as I uttered the words, "Bye kitty girl" I put a foot on the stairs. The next thing I know I am on the sidewalk and laying flat on my back. Apparently, the stairs were completely covered in black ice. It took me a second to start feeling the pain and as I laid on the sidewalk I let the longest stream of English and Spanish curse words leave my mouth. 

It was dark outside so none of the neighbors saw the fall, but they definitely heard me. My hair was in a low bun on the back of my head, so it took the brunt of the force when my head hit the ground. However, my butt, back, elbow, and wrists did not fair as well. I let myself sit in shocked silence for a few minutes, and then crawled up the stairs to get back inside.   

This was me! Haha.

I stumbled inside the house and my dad was like "Why are you here? I thought you were going to the gym." I explained what had happened and he went out to salt the stairs so no one else would have to risk their lives to leave the house. I sat on the my heating pad for hours and moaned about how sore I was. The bruises were immediate but got progressively worse as the days passed. The picture below is my lower back on day 3! My back, elbow, arm, and butt were insanely bruised. I couldn't really sit so I spent most of my work days using the standing desk, because I couldn't put weight on one of my butt cheeks.

I wish I could say that was the only time it happened to me this winter, but unfortunately it happened two more times. My parents thought I was so dumb for having so many incidents on the stairs, however, in January they had multiple experiences slipping on ice on the stairs. I will just say that the ice bags, Advil, and heating pads got a lot of use this winter. 
The aftermath!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chronicles of a Boy Named Buster

13 Is OLD!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!