Taking Things Nice and Knee-sy

Once I overcoming the humiliating stairs experience I got set up in my bed. I elevated my leg, took the pain meds, and pretty much just slept for the next three days. I was in-and-out of sleep from Thursday evening until Monday morning. The only time I got up was to use the bathroom. It was a horrible time to have surgery because I was on my period, couldn't properly sit on the toilet, and I couldn't shower. I smelled terrible. The anesthesia working through my body also added to the terrible smell. My mom said that I smelled like stinky skunk weed. After living in NYC for a few years, I was often assaulted by awful smells. The closest thing I can say I smelled like was a homeless person (see poop fingers story). By Sunday, I couldn't take it anymore. I needed a shower and clean clothes so bad. 

My first physical therapy appointment was set for 8:30am on Monday morning. I knew I couldn't go in being all smelly so I came up with a plan. Thankfully the shower was built for an older lady, so the entrance is low, there is a detachable showerhead, and there are support bars built in. I was able to maneuver my way in, with my braced leg sticking out of the curtain. It was glorious to finally bathe. However, I was presented with a similar dilemma as the stair story. I had no idea how to stand up without putting weight on my left leg. I got dressed the best I could, scooted out of the shower and onto a towel on the bathroom floor, and then I just sat there for like 20 minutes. I couldn't ask someone to come help me up, that would be too much. So I tried to use the edge of the shower to lift up, but it was too wet and I slipped.

My left leg came down and took some weight as I was slipping. I thought for sure that I tore the stitches in my meniscus because my leg was turned when it caught the weight. I hobbled to my bed and started icing right away, praying to the heavens above that I didn't tear anything. 

Monday came and I realized I had to face my fear of going down stairs. I watched 10 YouTube videos explaining how to do it. My mom told me to be ready to go when she got home from dropping my brother's off at school. I got outside 30 minutes before I needed to, because I knew I needed time to agonize. I worried and watched more YouTube tutorials and then I was finally ready to do it. I know it's only 6 stairs, but 6 is a lot when you're on crutches. 

The first few stairs were easy peasy. But then I think the nerves came back, and I fell on the last step. Thankfully I was able to catch myself and keep my left leg out. Getting into the car was hard but not impossible. I just had to scoot the seat all the way back and then hoist my leg into the car. Let me tell you something, I felt every single pothole and hard stop on the way to physical therapy. It was incredibly painful.  

Flowers from my office and Mel!

Three days post op.

I spent a lot of time out on the porch while on house arrest. 

Working from home with my leg elevated. 

Free feet pic

Peep the socks! Rainbow Unicorns in a Convertible. I don't think my physical therapist thinks they are as cute as I think they are. This bad kitty girl stepped on me a second after this picture was taken. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chronicles of a Boy Named Buster

The attack of the talking lamb toy!!

Ha! I Embarrassed Myself In Front Of Strangers And Now I'm Pretending That I Actually Enjoyed It!!!!!